A slip and fall accident can happen anywhere and at any time. Tripping or slipping may not seem like a big deal at first glance, but there are several moderate and even catastrophic injuries associated with slip and fall accidents. As such, public property owners and employers have a legal responsibility to maintain a safe environment for any guests, residents, and workers. When this obligation isn’t upheld, the injured party can file a personal injury or premises liability claim and pursue damages that account for their medical bills, attorney fees, lost wages, and more.
Slip and fall accidents commonly occur at:
- Construction sites
- Shopping malls
- Nursing home facilities
- Grocery stores
- Apartment spaces
- Office buildings
- Parking structures
Slip and fall cases are the most common premises liability lawsuits filed in the United States. For your lawsuit to be successful, your legal representative needs to prove that you were welcome on the property and exposed to a dangerous circumstance that forced you to fall. Slip and fall accidents can be deadly, and, sadly, thousands of people are injured every year due to the choices of a negligent property owner.
Dangerous conditions that lead to slip and fall injuries include:
- The presence of clutter or debris
- Cracked or uneven flooring
- Water puddles or pipe leaks
- Unstable staircases
- Wobbly handrails
- Poor lighting
- Unsafe cables or cords on public pathways
The defendant in a premises liability case may try to dispute your claim by proving that you were trespassing, intoxicated when the accident occurred, hurt because you ignored reasonable safety warnings, or acted in a way that ultimately contributed to your injuries. They’ll be working with your insurance company to minimize their losses and undermine your right to damages. Fortunately, the Austin slip and fall injury attorneys at The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC are skilled litigators who can effectively negotiate and litigate on your behalf.
Some interesting facts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about slip and fall injuries:
- There are two types of slip and fall injuries: same-level slip and fall injuries and elevated slip and fall injuries.
- Fall injuries are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
- A fall, regardless of height, can still result in serious and even catastrophic injuries.
- 1 out of every 5 falls results in broken bones and head injuries.
- Each year, over 800,000 patients are hospitalized due to slip and fall injuries.
- 3 million elderly citizens are treated for fall injuries every year.
- In 2015, the total medical costs related to fall injuries amounted to over $50 billion.
About 20-30% of all slip and fall victims sustain moderate to severe injuries. The most critical injuries are spinal cord injuries, head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, hip fractures, and back injuries. If you’re suffering the physical and financial ramifications of a slip and fall injury, contact our Austin slip and fall injury attorneys today.
Retain Effective Legal Representation
Call The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC if you’re ready to file a premises liability claim for a slip and fall injury. Our lawyers can investigate your case, establish liability, and help you secure damages that facilitate your physical and financial recovery.
We’re available 24/7. Contact The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC at (512) 271-5112 to schedule a free consultation today.