A Texas motorcycle accident can be a traumatic experience and can leave you with serious injuries.
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident, it’s important to know what steps to take to protect yourself and ensure that you receive the proper medical care.
At The Stewart Law Firm, our Austin-based attorneys have years of experience with motorcycle accidents and their aftermath. Here’s what you should do to make sure that you’re safe – and to help get the compensation you deserve.
What to Do Immediately After a Motorcycle Accident in Texas
Here are the first steps you should take if you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Austin, Texas:
- Assess the Situation and Call for Help: The first thing to do after a motorcycle accident is to assess the situation and make sure you and any other parties involved are safe. Call 911 immediately if anyone is injured, and wait for emergency services to arrive. Even if no-one is hurt, you should still call the police so you can file a report.
- Collect Information: Exchange information with the other parties involved in the accident, including names, phone numbers, insurance information, and driver’s license numbers. It’s also important to get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to your bike and the other vehicles involved. This documentation can be useful when filing an insurance claim.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible. Provide them with all the relevant information, including the police report and any photos you took at the scene.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you feel fine after a crash, it’s important to seek medical attention. Adrenaline can mask pain and injuries, so you need to get checked out by a medical professional to ensure that you haven’t been seriously hurt. Hold on to all documents related to your medical care, including doctor’s notes, medical bills, and prescriptions.
What to Do in the Days and Weeks Following a Motorcycle Accident
After you’ve had a day or two to visit the doctor and rest up, there are some next steps you can take to help your motorcycle accident case:
- Follow Up with Insurance Companies: Work with your insurance company to file a claim and ensure that you receive proper compensation for any damage to your bike and any injuries sustained in the accident. If you were not at fault for the crash, the other party’s insurance company may be responsible for compensating you.
- Consult an Attorney: If you’ve been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, it’s in your best interest to consult an experienced Texas motorcycle accident attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the complex legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. They can also help you negotiate with insurance companies and represent you in court if necessary.
- Repair or Replace Your Motorcycle: Depending on the extent of the damage, you may need to repair or replace your bike. Work with a reputable repair shop to ensure that your motorcycle is restored to its pre-accident condition. Keep all receipts and documentation related to the repair or replacement.
The Stewart Law Firm Can Help With Your Texas Motorcycle Accident
Being in any motorcycle accident – even a minor one – can cause serious injuries as well as damage to your bike. Once you’re done dealing with the immediate consequences, it’s important to get the compensation you deserve.
Instead of navigating the court system by yourself, contact The Stewart Law Firm. We have years of experience with Texas motorcycle accidents and other personal injury cases, and we’ll fight hard to make sure you get justice.