According to the Texas Department of Transportation, Texas is one of the most dangerous states in the country when it comes to accidents involving trucks and large vehicles.
It’s the last scenario that anyone wants to be in, but if you live in Texas there is a possibility you could experience an accident at the fault of a commercial truck driver.
These accidents can be incredibly dangerous, and you may even sustain life-changing injuries. In these cases, you might feel afraid and unsure where to turn.
But there is still hope. Our team at the Stewart Law Firm in Austin, Texas can help you learn what to do after a truck accident, and how witnesses can impact your case.
What should I do after a truck accident in Texas
A truck accident can be even scarier than a car accident, and it might be difficult to fight the panic that comes after experiencing one. However, if you are not seriously injured, the steps are not too different from the steps to take after a car accident.
- Stop driving: do not move your car from the scene of the accident or let the truck driver leave.
- Check if any urgent medical attention is needed: Hopefully there is no need for urgent medical attention, but if so call emergency medical personnel.
- Take pictures: Document everything with photo and video evidence, from any injuries to the cars to the scene of the accident.
- Report the case: Contact law enforcement who can create a police report, which can be used to your advantage in a case.
- Exchange information: Exchange contact information not only with the other driver, but with any witnesses as well.
- Consult a car accident attorney: An experienced truck accident lawyer can help you file your claim and build a solid case.
Is it important to have a witness in a Texas truck accident claim?
If you haven’t been in a truck accident before, there may also be some facts you don’t know about them.
One thing to keep in mind is that truck drivers are trained to avoid liability – for themselves and their companies. Truck drivers might even behave aggressively after an accident.
That’s why it’s so crucial that you record as many facts as possible in photo, video and written evidence. That’s also why witnesses can be so valuable in a truck accident case.
Lastly, it’s also important that you avoid any conversation with the driver, so your words cannot be misconstrued or taken as you admitting any fault in the accident.
What does a witness do in a truck accident case?
Any evidence is important to a truck accident case, and eyewitness accounts can really support any type of case. However, you may not know what you can expect a witness to do in a truck accident case.
Here are some examples of what a witness may do to support your case:
- Describe the chain of events that occurred before, during and after the accident
- Describe the road and weather conditions at the scene of the accident
Offer details about each party’s actions at the scene of the accident
- Describe injuries and damages they observed at the scene of the accident
There is other evidence an eyewitness can discuss in their account, such as other information about the parties involved or the scene of the accident.
Can I avoid a trial with the help of a witness?
Truck companies are known for doing their best to protect their interests and shield themselves from liability, even if they acted negligently. They can employ aggressive tactics as early as the accident itself, using the driver as a mouthpiece.
However, an in-person witness account can be very impactful to a jury or judge. Both legal parties will likely be acquainted with the witness before the trial, and they will know exactly how to expect the witness’s account of the story to go. This includes body language, tone of voice and other nonverbal cues.
In some cases, the trucking company’s law team might realize that the witness’s account would be too damaging to their case. In these situations, they may be willing to settle before the trial.
Contact the Stewart Law Firm Texas truck accident attorney today
The Stewart Law Firm in Austin, Texas understands how complex truck accident cases can be, but we’re also diligent and determined to get justice for the victims of truck accidents. Stephen Stewart has no fear about taking on major trucking companies, and putting up an aggressive fight with your needs at the forefront.
Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation.