Between rainy weather, fatigued pilots, and reckless drivers, December is one of the most dangerous months for traveling. Many Americans tend to imagine Texas as a vast desert melting under a hot sun 24/7. Texans, however, have an intimate understanding of just how dangerous this state’s winter wonderland can be. To keep your holiday from turning into a tragedy, the Austin personal injury attorneys at The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC have compiled the following traveling tips to keep you safe this holiday season.
Throughout the month of December, Texas plays host to countless out-of-state relatives and visiting tourists. Travelers who aren’t prepared for Texas’ unique weather conditions may drive recklessly or utilize cell phone apps just to reach their destinations as quickly as possible. However, these aggressive and distracted driving behaviors can lead to serious motor vehicle accidents. To be fair, it isn’t just out-of-towners who are guilty of practicing dangerous driving behaviors. Even local residents can be a little careless when it comes to driving in difficult weather conditions. With so many people driving carelessly, there are bound to be tragic accidents and injuries.
Stay safe this holiday season by following these important driving tips:
- Check weather and road conditions before leaving your home or workplace
- Always leave early so you don’t have to race to your destination
- Don’t use cruise control
- Avoid speeding
- Turn your headlights on if it’s raining
- Obey local and state traffic laws
- Don’t tailgate other drivers
- Don’t drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Be careful on bridges
- Expect traffic and be patient with other drivers
- Keep a safety kit in your car
Air travel is always an excellent option if you’re planning to journey a great distance and don’t want to deal with traffic. In fact, airplanes are considered the safest transportation option! However, this doesn’t mean that it’s impossible for an airplane accident to occur. Before you board your plane, it’s important to read and understand the airline’s rules and regulations. For example, if you’re bringing firecrackers on board, make sure they are stored in an appropriate place. Granted, unlike an automobile, you don’t have any control over an airplane. Even so, there are still important steps you can take to guarantee your safety.
Follow these steps if you’re planning to travel by airplane this December:
- Leave early to get to the airport on time without speeding
- Wear flame retardant clothing, such as wool blends or cotton
- Wear comfortable clothing that allows you to move quickly
- Don’t wear high heels or flip-flops
- Keep your wallet, passport, medication, and phone with you at all times
- Pay attention to the safety video
- Read the picture card in the seat pocket
- Be aware of emergency exits
- Ignore annoying or loud neighbors (conflict can lead to personal danger)
- Pay attention to the captain and crew announcements
- If you have an exit door seat, be prepared to carry out your duties
- Avoid drinking to keep a clear head
- In an emergency, put on your oxygen mask before helping others
Injured This Holiday Season? Contact a Seasoned Personal Injury Attorney
If you’re injured in a motor vehicle collision or airplane accident this December, call the Austin personal injury lawyers at The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC. Our legal team can investigate your case and help you recover essential economic and non-economic damages.
Schedule a free consultation today! Contact The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC at (512) 271-5112.