Skip to main content

What Should I Do If My Police Report Isn’t Ready?

There are a few important steps you must take after a car accident if you intend to file a claim. In Texas, a driver needs to complete a police report after an accident or submit a Crash Report, Form CR-2 within 10 days of the collision if the accident resulted in injuries, death, or property damages exceeding $1,000. However, it can be difficult to complete these actions if you’re driven away in an ambulance. So, what should you do if the police report isn’t ready and you don’t have the other driver’s information?

Why Do I Need a Police Report?

A police report is comprised of critical evidence that can prove the defending party is responsible for the accident. To secure a beneficial settlement or verdict, your attorney needs to prove 3 key factors: the defendant was behaving negligently at the time of the accident, the defendant’s act of negligence caused or contributed to the accident, and your injuries and financial losses are a result of the accident. For this reason, your lawyer needs the information included in the police report to negotiate with the defendant’s insurance company.

A police report – if completed in its entirety – should include the following information:

  • The date and location of the crash.
  • The contact information of any drivers involved in the accident.
  • The names, contact information, and statements of key witnesses.
  • The officer’s interpretation of events.

How Can I Get a Copy of the Police Report?

The police department that responded to the accident may need 7-10 days to process the report. Once it is available, you can obtain a copy of the report in person, online ($7.50 fee), or by mail ($6 fee).

You need to know the following details to receive a copy of the police report:

  • The date of the accident.
  • The location of the accident.
  • The names of the drivers and passengers involved in the accident.

We recommend going to the police department and requesting a copy in person. In light of privacy laws, the online copy may be missing specific information, including names and contact information. If you choose to request a copy by mail, be sure to include a check or money order for the fee and a stamped, self-addressed envelope.

It’s important to understand that you aren’t without recourse if, for some reason, the police report isn’t immediately available. For instance, you can work with your insurance provider to handle any property damage costs, utilize your health insurance for medical treatments, and even benefit from your uninsured motorist coverage if the at-fault driver doesn’t have an insurance policy. Your attorney can help you recover monetary damages that reimburse you for any injury-related expenses.

How the Attorneys at The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC Can Help You

Contact the car accident lawyers at The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC if you require legal guidance or representation after a collision. We can investigate your case, compile critical evidence, and start completing essential pretrial work while you’re waiting for the police report. If there is any information missing from the police report, we can contact the insurance providers and collect witness statements to fill in the blanks. When your future and financial security is dependent upon the outcome of a case, turn to a legal team with the skills, resources, and experience to maximize your claim.

We’re available 24/7. Call The Stewart Law Firm, PLLC at (512) 326-3200 to schedule a free, no-risk consultation.

Skip to content